Many of us are aware that Water is the most essential substance in our body. All cells, tissues, and organs need water in order to function and maintain our health. Body needs water to break down the food we eat and absorb its useful nutrients.
I usually drink 2 liters of water everyday, and that's excluding the water I add to my smoothies. But, Have I always been drinking this much Water throughout the day? Of course NOT!
Up until a year and a half ago I wouldn't drink water unless I was really really thirsty. There would be days and days me going without taking any Water. Sometimes, tea, coffee, or some kind of fizzy drinks would be the only fluids I would put into my body. Pretty bad habit huh!
I think that it was because I grew up in an extremely hot climate where we would be dehydrated all the time. So, my brain associated Water with feeling Thirsty and that only chilled water would satisfy my intense thirst.
As an act of self-love, last year I decided to start drinking a lot of water. This is how I achieved it:
- I noticed that every time I purchased a bottle of Mineral Water from a shop I would constantly drink it even if I might not be so thirsty. This means that my brain is programmed so much so, that a bottle can stimulate my body to take Water before it gets dehydrated. So, I bought a 650 ml water bottle that I carried around with me and it was on my desk whenever I was working on my computer. This way, the shape and color of the bottle was stored in my brain and every time my eyes caught the bottle I would grab it and drink water unconsciously. By doing so, I managed to drink one or two bottles per day.
- As soon as I hit 4 bottles (approximately 1 liter) in a day,I decided to increase the size of my water bottle. Looking for a larger bottle, I found this decent-size pickle jar in our kitchen which I washed carefully so it doesn't smell like vinegar. One jar would be 1 liter per serving, I recently drink two of my jar throughout the day. My next target is to drink at least 3 liters of water in a day.
So, my advice to you would be:
- pick a right size bottle that you feel comfortable carrying it around.
- form some kind of emotional attachment to your bottle, for example only drink water from your water bottle and not any other glasses or bottles.
- sip from your bottle when you're not thirsty, this way you train yourself to drink water constantly until in becomes a habit.
- drink as much water as your body needs (everybody's body is different). I would say 1 liter is good and 2 liter is ideal. Choose what's right for your body at this time.
- increase your water intake over time, use a larger bottle whose size is closer to your ideal water intake.
Hope my tips help you become a water drinker to optimize your health.
What's your water drinking habit like? Do you drink enough water before you become thirsty? Do you own a personal water bottle? What's it like? Share your thoughts and your tips on how you developed a habit of drinking a lot of water.
Thanks for reading and keep hydrated!